Uninsured Motorist Claims

Auto liability insurance is required by law in Alabama

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you visiting my website today. As most of you are aware auto liability insurance is required by law in Alabama. However, would you be surprised to learn that literally thousands of people are out there on our highways with absolutely no insurance coverage on their vehicle? So what happens if you are hit and injured by an uninsured motorist? That's where you have to be certain that you have uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy. This will cover you for bodily injuries you sustain due to the fault of an uninsured driver. If you purchase a policy of liability insurance in Alabama, the insurance company is required to provide uninsured motorist coverage to you unless you specifically reject the coverage in writing. Some insurance agents will advise you to reject this coverage to save a few dollars on your premium. However, let me warn you to never do this! Uninsured motorist coverage is not that expensive and I can't overemphasize its importance for you to have it on your policy.

In addition, uninsured motorist coverage will also cover you if the amount of your claim exceeds the liability insurance of the driver at fault. For example, if you have a serious injury and the driver at fault in your accident has $25,000.00 liability coverage, which is the minimum amount in Alabama, you can file a claim with your insurance company for what is called under-insured motorist coverage. In other words, you make a claim that the other driver wasn't uninsured but he or she was under-insured under the facts of your case. In other words, their liability coverage was not sufficient to compensate you for your injuries and damages. Simply put, the under-insured motorist coverage will pick up where the liability coverage leaves off.


Also, uninsured motorist coverage will provide coverage in the event you are injured by a hit and run driver. We see many cases in our office where someone will cause an accident and then leave the scene and they can't be located. In this case, that hit and run driver is treated like an uninsured motorist for insurance purposes and your uninsured motorist coverage will apply to cover your injuries. Again, I can't over emphasize how important uninsured motorist coverage is. So talk to your insurance agent today and make sure that it is on your auto policy. If you have any questions, or we can be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to call me for a free consultation at 256-825-4631 or contact me through this website www.sharpeinjurylaw.com.